The garlic chives I’ve been enjoying so much this year are starting to go to seed. I’d like to have more in other spots in our years, since the pollinators seem to love them, so I took these seed heads and scattered them in other spots in the yard where I’d like to see chives. We’ll see how well it works next year!
One similar experiment with self seeding is the amaranth, growing below. I grew some last year, and didn’t get around to planting again this year, but I had a few volunteers where the seeds had dropped last year. This year, I approached it more deliberately. I took the mature seed heads and dropped them in a spot in the yard where I hope amaranth will grow next year. It got a head start on me though. Some of those seeds sprouted immediately, and here they are. So this is a second amaranth “planting” for this year.
OK, this is really just an excuse to post a few more bee photos, but see if you can identify the plants in each of the bee photos. I’ll post the answers in the comments.
The garlic chives are abuzz right now, with bees, butterflies, and other small nectar-loving creatures. The butterflies are painted ladies, and are passing through this area right now.
My husband decided to put in some raised beds in one part of our yard, and built me a really nice raised bed for strawberries out of some cheap bricks he picked up at the Restore. Then my sister got in touch and said they were getting rid of some landscaping wood, and would we like it? Well, of course we did. And after that, my husband decided to complete the trio, with a raised bed made of straw bales. (Well, hay, but close enough.) So here we have my fairytale garden beds… 🙂
I haven’t posted in awhile, because I’ve been so busy picking okra! Here’s a bunch of it. This variety is called ‘Hill Country Red’.
Growing a couple of types of peas this year, one with purple pods. But even for your garden variety green pea, the blossoms are really pretty. Here are a few photos.
The flea beetles are at it again. They eat tiny holes in the leaves of my eggplant, which seems to keep the plants from getting very big. Here’s a current photo.
And because this is a recurring problem, here’s an older one that shows more detail. This is from 2013.
The individual beetles are actually pretty easy to squish or knock off the plants, but it’s hard to completely get rid of them, so I’m resorting to organic sprays. Currently trying an insecticidal soap. We’ll see how that goes.